The Proven fact is that, “People Buy People!”
If you are the one people like, they will follow you in all your ventures and projects! Whether you are an Entrepreneur, Consultant, Student, CEO, everyone should have a vision towards life and how one wants life to unfold. Defining your Life’s Vision, Identifying Target audience, Building Credibility and Trust, Promoting yourself, Measuring and Adjusting your perceived image by your target audience to stand out of crowd/competition is called “Personal Branding”. Tom Peters wrote an article : Fast Company The Brand Called You, in 1997 has defined the process of self branding as “…what it takes to become CEO of Me, Inc.”
“Regardless of age, regardless of position, regardless of the business we happen to be in, all of us need to understand the importance of branding. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc. To be in business today, our most important job is to be head marketer for the brand called You. It’s that simple — and that hard. And that inescapable.”
Personal branding often involves the application of one’s name to various products. For example, the celebrity real-estate mogul Donald Trump uses his last name extensively on his buildings and on the products he endorses (e.g. Trump Steaks).
- Awareness of Creating a Personal Brand : The first step towards Celebrity Branding you, is having the awareness and the need as to why you need a Personal Brand? to stand out of crowd/competition! to fulfill the vision, mission of life, career management & income security.
- Define your Vision, Mission in Life : You should be the author of the script of your life! this would entail writing the Vision- what you want to achieve? and defining the Mission – what is your purpose of life? If you ever sat through Journalism 101, you know all about the Five Ws and one H.What are the Five Ws and One H? They are Who, What, Why, When, Where and How. Similarly these Five Ws and One H which should be used in defining your image, how you want others to perceive.
- Identify your Niche and Target Audience : The deeper the niche the easier it is to claim expert status and build credibility. It also creates blue ocean strategy! no competition- yahoo! Defining target audience and catering to their needs is a must.
- Build Self Promotion : I love the way Jason Alba, author of “I’m on LinkedIn — Now What” in his pluralsight course of Personal Branding states, Start by creating a plan and strategy of building a brand, this should involve, define your Brand, create a tagline(I help [who… companies? People?] to/acheive[what] by[how]), create a 30 second pitch(Encompassing tagline and a short story or case study), print business cards, create About.me page, polish your Linkedin Profile, click a professional On-Brand picture, get testimonials, get a domain write blogs, create social media accounts on Twitter/Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram etc, write an ebook, become a speaker, publish books, join networking groups, publish articles in Newspapers and appear on TV channels.Telling stories help release a hormone called Oxytocin and helps your audience connect emotionally with you..use this powerful techniques to sell, and build networks.I invite you to read the bestselling book “Celebrity Branding YOU” by Nick Nanton and team.
- Measure and Readjust your Self Promotion : Once you embarked the journey of building self promotion, measuring the same by getting 360 degree feedback from your clients, colleagues, friends, social media marketing tools and readjusting to the same is a must!